Susan Veleber, DACM, MS, LAc
Fred Hutch Integrative Medicine services are currently available to all hematology oncology patients receiving care at the South Lake Union Clinic. Integrative medicine therapies and practices can be empowering therapeutic tools to help relieve cancer and treatment-related side effects as well as improve overall wellness and quality of life at any point following a cancer diagnosis.
I am involved in research in acupuncture and Chinese medicine’s impact on cancer treatment-related side effects and improving quality of life during cancer treatment and survivorship.
Initially, I was drawn to the whole-person orientation of integrative medicine. I chose to specialize in acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine because it is rooted in the philosophy of individualized treatment and wellness plans that can address many health conditions.
Prior to joining Fred Hutch, I practiced at the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic working with patients with complex and chronic conditions. I saw the many positive benefits of acupuncture in the oncology setting, especially how acupuncture treatments can help patients have a better experience through challenging times and difficult medical treatments.
In my clinical practice, I collaborate with patients and their medical providers to provide safe and effective evidence-based acupuncture treatment in conjunction with traditional cancer care to ease treatment-related side effects and support overall health and well-being to help patients live well with cancer and beyond.
- DACM: Pacific College of Health and Science, Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine
- MS: Bastyr University, Master of Science in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
- BS: Cornell University
- Board Certified Diplomate of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, National Certification Commission of the Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM)
- Advanced Herbal Studies Program, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Fellow, American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine (ABORM)
- Member, Society for Integrative Oncology (SIO)
- Member, Society for Acupuncture Research (SAR)
- Representative, American Society of Acupuncturists (ASA)