Dr. Hsi is a radiation oncologist with a clinical focus on prostate and bladder cancer. He primarily treats patients at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA) Peninsula.
In the modern era of scientific, technology-oriented medicine, it’s vital that we, as physicians, also remember to practice the art of medicine by perfecting our listening skills and working to understand all of our patients' needs.
Bladder cancer and prostate cancer
- Physician, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
- Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Washington
- BA: Kalamazoo College
- MD: University of Michigan
- Residency: Internal Medicine, University of Michigan
- Residency: Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania
- Attending Physician, Dept. of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania — 1997–1999
- Section Chief, Radiation Oncology, Virginia Mason Medical Center — 1999-2009
- Co-founder, Peninsula Cancer Center — 2009-2018
- Physician, Evergreen Medical Center — 2015-2018
I decided to go into medicine, because it allows one to contribute to society on both an individual level, through clinical practice, and a community level, through research and educational activities. Oncology allows me to treat a broad spectrum of disease states that affect people from all social, economic and racial backgrounds.
I am a primary investigator (PI) for multiple prostate cancer clinical trials including the first US clinical trial of stereotactic body radiation therapy, as well as, the first US clinical trial of SpaceOAR hydrogel to reduce radiation dose to the rectum during radiation for prostate cancer. Currently, I am a PI for a clinical trial on focal brachytherapy for recurrent prostate cancer after radiation therapy.
In my lifetime, I hope to see improved genetic profiling of prostate cancers to better tailor therapies for each individual patient. I would also like to see more frequent integration of immunotherapy and molecular therapies into the treatment of prostate cancer.
Outside of caring for patients, I enjoy tennis, golf and skiing. I also enjoy spending time with my family.