My goal is to help patients return to their normal life after battling cancer. This includes reconstruction of physical features to achieve a normal appearance, but more importantly restoration of previous function. I love working with patients throughout the reconstructive process to learn about their goals and provide the best results possible.
Reconstructive surgery for breast cancer, sarcoma, head and neck cancer, facial palsy and lymphedema.
- Assistant Professor, Division of Plastic Surgery, UW School of Medicine
- BA: University of Washington
- MD: University of Washington School of Medicine
- Residency: Plastic Surgery, University of Washington School of Medicine
- Fellowship: Reconstructive Microsurgery, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Since Janelle Sousa, MD, was a child, she always knew she wanted to be a doctor. Through the years, she had many interests in medicine but ultimately chose plastic surgery.
"Every patient presents a new challenge, and as a plastic surgeon I am able to tailor each patient’s operation to their specific needs and goals," she says.
Dr. Sousa received her medical degree from the University of Washington School of Medicine followed by a residency in plastic surgery. She later had a fellowship in reconstructive microsurgery at The Royal Melbourne Hospital in Melbourne, Australia.
When she is not in clinic, Dr. Sousa enjoys spending time with her husband and son and their dog, running, cooking and gardening.