Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA) treats each patient with the best care possible. Sometimes, that involves a clinical trial.
Our Phase 1 clinical trials offer an option to people with advanced cancer when conventional treatments no longer work. These trials, which study innovative new therapies in people for the first time, are critical to future patients, who may benefit from today’s breakthroughs, and to the health care industry, which is searching for tomorrow’s cures.
SCCA joins the leading researchers and cancer experts from Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the University of Washington Medical Center. One team devoted to your best possible outcome.
Phase 1 Program capabilities
SCCA provides the first academic-based Phase 1 program for cancer research in the Pacific Northwest.
Phase I clinical trials require a high level of technical and scientific competencies, like those found at SCCA. Our program provides unique opportunities for correlative studies that take advantage of our consortium’s research strengths, such as world-class positron emission tomography (PET) imaging, proteomics, biomarkers and genomics cores.
Research services we provide
The Phase 1 Program provides a full range of research services to advance the development, implementation and successful completion of clinical trials.
- The majority of trials in our Phase 1 Program are industry-sponsored (a pharmaceutical company oversees the study and analyzes the data we collect).
- Regulatory review (such as for the safety of study participants) includes scientific committee review, radiation safety review, and institutional review board (IRB) review.
- We have experience conducting outpatient trials at SCCA and inpatient trials at University of Washington Medical Center.
Examples of new treatments being tested in the Phase 1 Program include:
- Targeted therapies
- Angiogenesis inhibitors
- Cytotoxic agents for hematologic and solid tumor cancers
The Phase I Program partners with patients and families to conduct-cutting edge cancer research for the advancement of science. Our clinical trial expertise allows us to inspire hope and provide compassionate care for those who face a lack of treatment options. We collaborate with our Cancer Consortium and leading industry partners to improve quality care for current and future generations.
Clinical Trials Unit
We created our Clinical Trials Unit with the highest level of quality and comfort for our patients. Features include:
- A lounge with comfortable chairs, a flat-panel television and snacks to create a peaceful environment.
- Four patient rooms where each patient can receive care in one place, with nursing staff and research coordinators close by.
The Clinical Trials Unit is open from Monday through Friday, 8 am to 10 pm. If an overnight stay is required, our patients stay at University of Washington Medical Center.
Phase 1 Program team
Our highly skilled and devoted staff, nurses and physicians have extensive research experience and provide the exacting care and attention required to test potential breakthrough therapies.
John A. Thompson, MD, Director, Phase 1 Clinical Trials Program; Clinical Research Division, Member, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center; University of Washington Professor, Medical Oncology Division.
Bojana I. Askovich, PhD, Phase 1, Program Administrator.
Clinical research group
Faculty and investigators
Phase 1 mid-levels
Phase 1 clinic support
Fax: (206) 606-6681
825 Eastlake Ave. E.
Seattle, WA 98109-1023