To provide a more positive experience to patients and caregivers at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance by offering comfort hand massages in the waiting rooms on the 1st, 4th, and 5th floors.
- Give comfort hand massages to patients and caregivers at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.
- Comply with all infection control and confidentiality policies in regard to patient care.
- Strive to remain compassionate, non-judgmental, flexible and impartial when assisting people who have lifestyles, spiritual beliefs, and interests that are different from your own.
- Respect the privacy of patients and family members, and abide by the Volunteer Services program’s confidentiality policies.
The Physical Therapy department will provide supervision to massage therapy volunteers. On-going feedback and evaluation of the program will be requested.
New volunteers must be able to commit a minimum of three months to the Volunteer Services program. Volunteers serve, on average, one 2-4 hour shift per week.
Patients are extremely vulnerable to potentially life-threatening infections because their immune systems are suppressed from chemotherapy and radiation treatment. Because of this, all volunteers must abide by universal precautions and infectious disease guidelines in order to protect themselves and patients.
- Licensed Massage Practitioner in the state of Washington. A copy of license must be provided. Preference given to practitioners who have experience with oncology patients.
- Professional Liability Insurance (Limits of $1,000,000 Each Claim/$3,000,000 Aggregate) and inclusion of the SCCA as a named insured on the policy.
- Respect of diverse lifestyles, cultures, religions and values.
- Ability to be flexible and respond to changing needs of patients and family members.
- Ability to maintain emotional boundaries and lead a balanced life.
- Ability to work as part of a team with other volunteers and staff.
- Essential functions of this role include but are not limited to the ability to lift, pull and carry supplies (rolling backpack and stool); ability to complete intake form with patient/caregiver (verbal and/or written).
Comfort Hand Massage Therapy Volunteers must be at least 21 years of age. Volunteer applicants are asked to complete disclosure forms for a national criminal background check. Annual Tuberculosis screening and documentation of vaccination or immunity to Chickenpox (Varicella), Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) are required for all volunteers. Flu shots are offered annually and are highly encouraged, as well.
Comfort Hand Massage Therapy Volunteers participate in two general orientation sessions, a role specific orientation, an interview, and at least two role-specific shadow shifts before they are assigned to an individual shift. Volunteers are encouraged to attend in-service programs for continuing education. Volunteer policies, procedures, service descriptions and training resources are available on the extranet.
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Opportunities to support families from around the world and diverse cultures.
- Ability to provide comfort and relief to patients undergoing cancer treatment.
- An opportunity to gain experience in a multi-disciplinary health-care setting.