Thank you very much for your interest in becoming a volunteer Patient and Family Advisor at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. We look forward to working with you!
Applicants must have direct experience as a current or former patient, family member or caregiver at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.
Patient and Family Advisors improve the care experience by helping us better understand the patient and family point of view. They serve as a resource on committees, short term projects and the Patient and Family Advisory Council to improve communication between staff, patients and families and provide input in the development, implementation and evaluation of SCCA programs, policies and services. Advisors do not work directly with patients.
- Share personal experiences and viewpoints in order to aid staff in the development and evaluation of programs, services and policies.
- Remain compassionate, objective and constructive when sharing thoughts and opinions, understanding that each person’s experience differs.
- Respect the privacy of patients and family members.
- Comply with all infection control and confidentiality policies as applicable.
The Patient and Family Centered Care Coordinator will serve as the staff liaison to all advisors. Other staff, providers and leaders will supervise specific activities as needed. On-going feedback and evaluation of the program will be requested.
All advisors must participate in an interview and attend a three-hour orientation session prior to entering the program.
The time commitment required is dependent on the specific project. Advisor opportunities include projects that range from attending only one meeting to ongoing Advisory Council membership which requires a two-year commitment.
- Ability to communicate well in a group setting
- Ability to share insights and information in constructive ways
- Shows concern for more than one issue or agenda
- Ability to work in partnership with others and collaborate on solutions
- Have passion for enhancing the health care experience
- Ability to think beyond own experience
How to Apply
If you meet the qualifications above, please complete an application and the program coordinator will contact you to schedule an interview.
Print and fill out the application. You may return this form in several ways:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- fax to (206) 288-1077
- mail to:
825 Eastlake Ave. E., G1-035
Seattle, WA 98109
If you would like more information about the Patient and Family Advisor Program, please contact Brandelyn Bergstedt, Coordinator of Patient and Family Centered Care, at 206-288-7229 or email@example.com.