Child Life Specialists are members of the healthcare team who work to support children and families during illness and hospitalization, with the goal of reducing stress and fostering coping and resiliency.
Child Life Specialists provide a variety of services, including:
- Preparation and education: Provide hands-on developmentally appropriate explanations of a loved one’s diagnosis and treatment
- Emotional support: Help children and families cope with illness and change by providing a safe space to express feelings and concerns
- Procedural support: Assist children in coping with potentially stressful medical procedures
- Play: Facilitate therapeutic and recreational play experiences to promote understanding of illness as well as provide opportunities for normal growth and development
- Parent/caregiver consultation: Help parents and family members talk with children about a loved one’s illness and treatment
- Consultation: Behavioral concerns and other issues related to child and adolescent development
- Community education and support: Coping with illness and disability
For inquires about Child Life, call (206) 288-7621. Child Life Services are available Mondays through Thursdays from 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. and are free of charge.