Retail/Gift Shop Volunteers
Rain or Shine gift shop and Shine store volunteers provide efficient and courteous service to customers and help support our retail operations. Rain or Shine gift shop is located in the SCCA outpatient clinic. Shine retail store features specialty products for cancer patients and is located at the SCCA House, 1216 John Street.
- Provide excellent customer service for patients, families and staff who enter the gift shop.
- Assist with purchases as needed.
- Receive incoming phone calls and determine appropriate action, provide all directions and information in a courteous and helpful manner.
- Process sales transactions, including cash, check and credit cards. Ability to make correct change for cash sales.
- Assist with unpacking, tagging and stocking merchandise. Clean displays and restock inventory as needed.
- Make eye contact; greet every patient/visitor entering the gift shop (important theft deterrent function).
- Respect the privacy of patients and family members, and abide by the confidentiality policies of the Volunteer Services Program.
A minimum volunteer commitment of six months is requested. Volunteer shifts are available from 8:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. and 12:00 until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Two volunteers will be scheduled per shift. When a volunteer is unable to come to the clinic for a scheduled shift, he/she is expected to attempt to arrange a substitute volunteer and then notify the Gift Shop Manager.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience in retail operations a plus.
- Willingness and ability to learn use of personal computers with Windows operating systems.
- Essential functions include the ability to bend, reach and lift items (while restocking, unpacking and displaying goods up to 15 lbs); ability to stand for up to four hours and vision (eye contact is theft deterrent).
- Ability to be on time for all scheduled shifts and to provide timely notification is unable to volunteer.
- Comfort in handling cash, sales transactions and reconciliation of cash drawer at end of shift.
- Familiar with Emergency Response system (this will be provided in training).
- Ability to provide empathetic listening, warmth and compassion.
- Ability to be flexible and sensitive to the needs of patients, families, caregivers and staff.
- Respect of diverse lifestyles, cultures, religions and values.
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate with fellow volunteers.
- We seek energetic, friendly, self motivated and problem solving individuals to join our volunteer staff.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age. Volunteer applicants are asked to complete disclosure forms for a national criminal background check. Annual tuberculosis testing and documentation for Chickenpox (Varicella), Measles, Mumps and Rubella are required for all volunteers who have contact with patients. In addition, volunteers between the ages of 19 and 64 are encouraged to receive a single dose of Tdap vaccine to protect against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis.
New Gift Shop Volunteers are asked to complete an interview and orientation before they can be assigned to the SCCA Clinic’s Gift Shop. Volunteers are encouraged to attend all in-service sessions for continuing education.
Patients are extremely vulnerable to potentially life-threatening infections because their immune systems are suppressed from chemotherapy and radiation treatment. Because of this, volunteers must abide by universal precaution and infectious disease guidelines in order to protect themselves and patients. These guidelines are listed in the Volunteer Manual.
BENEFITS TO THE VOLUNTEER
- Personal satisfaction and growth from providing assistance to patients and their families.
- An opportunity to become acquainted with people from around the world.
- An opportunity to gain experience in a multi-disciplinary health care setting.