Taking Care of the Caregiver
Caregivers are encouraged to take care of themselves through exercise, proper diet and adequate sleep. Caregivers can benefit from breaks. The following suggestions are helpful for both self-care and caregiving.
These helpful tips come from Rosalynn Carter’s book, Helping Yourself Help Others:
- Listen to your friends. Be open to others' observations.
- Let go. Know your limits.
- Focus on your loved ones’ strengths.
- Learn relaxation techniques.
- Take care of your health.
- Maintain a life outside your caregiving role.
- Keep a daily “burnout log.”
- Insist on private time.
- Build a caregiving team.
- Rely on your sense of humor.
- Appreciate the benefits of leisure time.
- Help your loved one find a support group.
- Seek professional help.
- Appreciate your own efforts.
- Seek spiritual renewal.