Psychosocial Oncology & Sexuality Resources
Psychosocial Oncology Providers
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Psychiatry & Psychology Service, (206) 288-1030
- Samantha Artherholt, PhD, clinical psychologist
- Jesse Fann, MD, psychiatrist, director
- Catherine Howe, MD, PhD, psychiatrist
- Mitchell Levy, MD, psychiatrist
- Jennifer Sexton, MD, psychiatrist
- Karen Syrjala, PhD, psychologist
Urology/Prostate Center Clinic, University of Washington Medical Center
- Claire Yang, MD, urologist, (206) 598-4294
- Ivan Rothman, ARNP, (206) 598-4294
- Keith Van Meter, ARNP, (206) 598-4528
- Beatrice Ellis, PhD, psychologist, (206) 324-7954
- Lucianne Hackbert, PhD, psychologist, (206) 755-9122
- Virginia Becker, PhD, psychologist, (206) 542-6670
- Melissa Hawkins, PhD, psychologist, (206) 725-0750
- Carolyn Livingston, PhD, psychologist, (206) 527-8774
- Louisa Turner, PhD, psychologist, (206) 633-7951
Professional Organizations About Sexuality and Couples
American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists
The Gottman Relationship Institute
(888) 523-9042, (206) 523-9042
Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States
Society for Sex Therapy and Research
(202) 863-1646, (202) 863-1648
Sexuality-Related Web Sites
A Web site and store promoting an educational approach to healthy sexuality.
A private site to help men and their companions with the social, emotional and sexual issues created by prostate cancer and treatment.
Sinclair Intimacy Institute/BetterSex
Books on Sexuality
Sexuality and Intimacy
- Barbach, Lonnie. For Yourself: The Fulfillment of Female Sexuality. Signet Book, 2000.
- Barbach, Lonnie. Erotic Edge: 22 Erotic Stories for Couples. Penguin Group, 1996.
- Butler, Robert and Myrna Lewis. The New Love and Sex After Sixty. Balantine Books, 2002.
- Comfort, Alex. The Joy of Sex: Fully Revised & Completely Updated for the 21st Century. Crown, fully revised edition 2002.
- Daniluk, Judith C. Women's Sexuality Across the Life Span: Challenging Myths, Creating Meanings. Guilford Publications, 2003.
- Ellison, Carol Rinkleib. Women's Sexualities: Generations of Women Share Intimate Secrets of Sexual Self-Acceptance. New Harbinger, 2000.
- Foley, Sallie, Sally A. Kope, and Dennis Sugrue. Sex Matters for Women. Guilford, 2002.
- Goodwin, Aurelie and Marc Agronin. A Woman’s Guide to Overcoming Sexual Fear and Pain. New Harbinger, 1997.
- Harrar, Sari and Julia Vantine. Extraordinary Togetherness: A Woman’s Guide to Love, Sex and Intimacy. St. Martin's Press, 1999.
- Heiman, Julia and Joe Lopiccolo. Becoming Orgasmic. Prentice-Hall, 1988.
- Leiblum, Sandra and Judith Sachs. Getting the Sex You Want. Crown, 2002.
- Maltz, Wendy. The Sexual Healing Journey. Harper Perennial, 2001.
- Maltz, Wendy and Suzie Boss. Private Thoughts: Exploring The Power Of Women’s Sexual Fantasies. New World Library, 2001.
- McCarthy, Barry and Emily McCarthy. Couple Sexual Awareness. Carroll and Graft, 1998.
- McCarthy, Barry and Emily McCarthy. Male Sexual Awareness. Carroll and Graft, 1998.
- McCarthy, Barry and Emily McCarthy. Rekindling Desire. Brunner/Routledge, 2003.
- McCarthy, Barry and Emily McCarthy. Sexual Awareness. Carroll and Graft, 2002.
- Metz, Michael and Barry McCarthy. Coping with Premature Ejaculation. New Harbinger, 2003.
- Metz, Michael and Barry McCarthy. Overcoming E.D. New Harbinger, 2004.
- Milsten, Richard and Julian Slowinski. The Sexual Male. Norton, 1999.
- Mims, Cedric. Love & Old Age: Breaking the Taboo of Sex and the Elderly. Trans-Atlantic Pubns, 2003.
- Sheehy, Gail. Sex and the Seasoned Woman: Pursuing the Passionate Life. Ballantine, 2007.
- Zilbergeld, Bernie. The New Male Sexuality. Bantam, 1999.
- Zoldbrod, Aline. Sex Smart. New Harbinger, 1998.
Sexuality and Cancer
- Alterowitz, R. & Alterowitz, B. Intimacy with Impotence: The Couple’s Guide to Better Sex After Prostate Cancer Disease. Perseus Books Group, 2004.
- Berberich, F. Ralph. Hit Below the Belt: Facing Up to Prostate Cancer. Celestial Arts, 2001.
- Kydd, S & Dana Rowett. Intimacy After Cancer: A Women’s Guide. Big Think Media, 2006.
- Louden, Jennifer. The Woman's Comfort Book: A Self-Nurturing Guide for Restoring Balance in Your Life. Harper, 1992.
- Virginia Laken and Keith Laken. Making Love Again, Hope for Couples Facing Loss of Sexual Intimacy. Dialogue Press, 2002.
- Schover, L.R. Sexuality and Cancer: For the Man with Cancer and His Partner. American Cancer Society, 1998.
- Schover, L.R. Sexuality and Fertility After Cancer. Wiley, 1997.
- Wainrib, Barbara Rubin, Michael Droller, Jack Maguire and Sandra Haber. Men, Women, and Prostate Cancer: A Medical and Psychological Guide for Women and the Men They Love. New Harbinger, 2000.
Sexuality and Other Related Cancer Issues for Gays, Lesbians and Bisexual Men and Women
- Perlman, G & Dresher, J. A Gay Man’s Guide to Prostate Cancer. The Hawworth Medical Press, 2005.
- Cancer Facts for Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Men and Women. American Cancer Society.
- Lesbian Cancer Initiative (LCI). Based in New York, the LCI offers a safe, supportive environment to address questions, decisions and emotions involved in having cancer. Patients may call just to talk at (212) 620-7310, ext. 258, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Sexuality Symptoms Information Sheet 2013
Facts and helpful information regarding sexuality symptoms as a side effect of treatment.