Dr. Fitzgibbon is an anesthesiologist at UW Medical Center who helps care for SCCA cancer patients.
Pain management in cancer patients should be patient-focused. It is important for patients to understand why they are experiencing pain as not all pain is caused by cancer. Successful pain management requires a team approach between all who are involved in care. Most importantly, this must include the patient. Successful pain management requires a long-term commitment to care.
Pain Management, Anesthesiology
- Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Medicine
- Medical Director Inpatient Pain Services, University of Washington Medical Center
- Director, Pain Service, Radiation Oncology, University of Washington Medical Center
- Medical Director, Pain and Anesthesia Services, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
- University College Cork Faculty of Medicine, 1983
- Residencies: Limerick Regional General Hospital Sr. House Officer, 01/85-12/85
- Cork Regional Hospital Sr. House Officer, 01/86-12/86
- Cork Regional Hospital Registrar, 01/87-06/88
- Mater Misericordia Hospital Research Registrar, 07/88-06/89
- Rotunda Hospital Sr. Registrar, 07/89-12/89
- Mater Misericordia Hospital Sr. Registrar, 01/90-06/90
- Our Lady's Hosp.(Dublin) for Sick Children Sr. Registrar, 07/90-12/90
- St. Vincent's Hospital (Dublin Ireland) Sr. Registrar, 01/91-06/91
- St. Vincent's Hospital (Dublin Ireland) Sr. Research Registrar, 07/91-12/92
- University of Washington, Dept. of Anesthesiology, 03/94-02/95
- Fellowship: University of Washington- Pain Management Clinic, 01/92-12/92
- Dr. Fitzgibbon was recognized as a 2012 and 2016 "Top Doctor" in Seattle magazine's annual survey.
- Dr. Fitzgibbon was recognized as a 2012, 2013 and 2014 "Top Doctor" in Seattle Met magazine's annual survey.
- For more information about Dr. Dermot R. Fitzgibbon's clinical and research expertise, click here.