Staff members at the Women’s Wellness Clinic can help you put together a plan for a happy, healthy life after cancer treatment. Here are the building blocks.
- Maintaining good nutrition: Obesity, a high-fat diet, and high alcohol intake may increase your risk for another cancer or a recurrence. Good nutrition is important for healing and also for cancer prevention.
- Managing menopause: Many women who have had breast cancer or a gynecological cancer will not be able to use estrogen replacement therapy for menopause because of questions about its safety for these women. We can help you manage the effects of menopause, which may include hot flashes, osteoporosis, and a higher risk of heart disease.
- Regaining strength and flexibility: You may need physical therapy to regain your strength, flexibility, and range of motion. Exercise can also help you manage lymphedema (swelling that is a common side effect of cancer treatment).
- Taking care of your emotional health: Cancer treatment can cause intense psychological consequences and disruptions in your relationships with family and friends. Common feelings include depression, anxiety, mood swings, and fears of a recurrence or death. These emotions do not automatically go away once treatment is over. We can help you regain your emotional well-being.
- Handling sexual issues: The cancer experience hits many women hard. They may feel less feminine and less sexually attractive after cancer treatment. We can help with the physical, medical, and emotional issues that may be getting in the way of your sexuality.