Amir Modarressi, MD
Death of his uncle from cancer was probably the main reason that Amir Modarressi, MD, decided to choose a career as a medical oncologist. From his early days of training, he was able to bring empathy to his patients and their families, and could use his knowledge of the field to help them.
With this background, Dr. Modarressi focuses on patient-centered care. He tries to spend plenty of time educating his patients about their conditions, answer their questions, and help them to make a decision as a team. “If something doesn’t work out in a routine office visit, I aim to go the extra miles to satisfy my patients’ needs,” Dr. Modarressi says.
Dr. Modarressi received his medical degree from Azad University in Tehran, Iran, in 1992. He completed his internal medicine residency at University of Medicine and Dentistry-Morristown Medical Center in New Jersey in 2000, and was a hematology and oncology fellow at the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and Cancer Institute of New Jersey until 2003. Subsequently, he received extra training in the field of hematologic malignancies and blood and marrow transplant at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida in 2003.
He came to Group Health so he could find his role as a healer and to focus on actual patient care instead of practicing in the private sector with all the chaos and uncertainties. He likes the friendly and professional attitude of his colleagues at Group Health and is impressed by the supportive and patient-oriented atmosphere of the organization.
Dr. Modarressi enjoys traveling, playing tennis, and visiting his extended family in British Columbia, Canada.
Patient Care Philosophy
“Providing patient centered care is at the top of my agenda.”
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Hematology
- MD: Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran, 1992
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Morristown Medical Center, Morristown, NJ, 1997-1999
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Morristown Medical Center, Morristown, NJ, 1999-2000
- Fellowship, Hematology/oncology, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, NJ, 2000-2003
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society of Hematology