*Effective November 26, 2007
We typically receive HLA typing requests from treating physicians, for example, your primary oncologist. While we can certainly discuss HLA typing with you directly, we recommend that your physician be involved to work with us.
Upon receiving your request, our Intake department will work with your local physician to determine three things:
- What is the clinical urgency? This is based on your clinical condition.
- What is your treatment plan?
- Is searching for an alternate donor being considered if there is no family match?
After determining the items above:
- We contact you to explain the HLA typing process and collect insurance and family member information.
- We contact your insurance carrier for financial clearance and communicate financial issues to you to ensure you are aware of any financial implications from HLA typing.
- If we need to discuss altering the HLA typing strategy based on any of the information collected, our Clinical Coordinator Physician will contact your local physician and/or you.
- Our Clinical Immunogenetics Laboratory (CIL) will send instructions on how to collect and send specimens for HLA typing to your local physician.
If you want to discuss HLA Typing, feel free to contact our Intake department. The Intake department hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm (PST) and our main phone number is (800) 804-8824 or (206) 288-1024.