Gift Shop Volunteers
Provide efficient and courteous service to the Gifts Shop customers and help maintain the clinic retail operation. The Gift Shop is located on the first floor of the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA) Clinic, 825 Eastlake Avenue E.
- Provide excellent customer service for patients, families and staff who enter the gift shop.
- Assist with purchases as needed.
- Receive incoming phone calls and determine appropriate action, provide all directions and information in a courteous and helpful manner.
- Process sales transactions, including cash, check and credit cards. Ability to make correct change for cash sales.
- Assist with unpacking, tagging and stocking merchandise. Clean displays and maintain needed items.
- Make eye contact; greet every patient/visitor entering the gift shop.
- Respect the privacy of patients and family members, and abide by the confidentiality policies of the Volunteer Services Program.
A minimum volunteer commitment of six months is requested. Volunteer shifts are available from 8:00 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. and 12:00 until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Two volunteers will be scheduled per shift. When a volunteer is unable to come to the clinic for a scheduled shift, he/she is expected to arrange a substitute volunteer and then notify the Gift Shop Manager.
The Gift Shop Manager and the Manager of Volunteer Services supervises Gift Shop Volunteers.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience in retail operations, specifically cash register experience.
- Experienced in using personal computers with Windows operating systems and searching for information on the World Wide Web (Internet).
- Ability to bend, reach and lift items (while restocking, unpacking and displaying goods).
- Familiar with Emergency Response system (this will be provided in training).
- Ability to provide empathetic listening, warmth and compassion.
- Ability to be flexible and sensitive to the needs of patients, families, caregivers and staff.
- Respect of diverse lifestyles, cultures, religions and values.
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate with fellow volunteers.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age. Volunteer applicants are asked to complete disclosure forms for a national criminal background check. Annual tuberculosis testing and documentation for Chickenpox (Varicella), Measles, Mumps and Rubella are required for all volunteers who have contact with patients. In addition, volunteers between the ages of 19 and 64 are encouraged to receive a single dose of Tdap vaccine to protect against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis.
New Gift Shop Volunteers are asked to complete an interview and orientation before they can be assigned to the SCCA Clinic’s Gift Shop. Volunteers are encouraged to attend all in-service sessions for continuing education.
Patients are extremely vulnerable to potentially life-threatening infections because their immune systems are suppressed from chemotherapy and radiation treatment. Because of this, volunteers must abide by universal precaution and infectious disease guidelines in order to protect themselves and patients. These guidelines are listed in the Volunteer Manual.
BENEFITS TO VOLUNTEER
- Personal satisfaction and growth from providing assistance to patients and their families.
- An opportunity to become acquainted with people from around the world.
- An opportunity to gain experience in a multi-disciplinary health care setting.