Patient & Family Resource Center
The Patient & Family Resource Center offers a wide variety of resources for patients and their families and caregivers, including information on different types of cancers, treatments, coping with cancer, supportive care and survivorship issues. Some information is available in Spanish.
The Resource Center is located on the third floor of the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA) clinic on Lake Union. It is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. You can call the Resource Center at (206) 288-2081. All services and materials provided in the Resource Center are free.
At the Resource Center
Features of the Resource Center include:
- Community bulletin board with information on lectures, classes and support groups in Seattle.
- Lending library with books, videos and audiotapes that are available for checkout. The library has materials that cover a wide variety of topics dealing with all aspects of the cancer journey. There are also medical textbooks available for reference only.
- Seven computer workstations that can be used for online research. Staff can assist you in navigating cancer resources available online.
- Internet connections for people wishing to use their personal laptops.
- Fax machine, copier and printer for your use while at SCCA. Faxes can also be sent here for patients.
In addition, SCCA and its founding institutions offer these resources:
The Cancer Library for cancer patients and families, located at University of Washington Medical Center on floor 8-SE. It is always open. The library has books, tapes, videos and computers to access the Internet.
Seattle Children’s Family Resource Center (FRC), (206) 987-2201, located on the fifth floor of Seattle Children’s near the Train elevators. The FRC provides information and support for patient families. Its extensive collection of books, pamphlets and reference materials focuses on children’s health and includes materials on specific conditions, parenting, growth and development, grief and loss, and safety. The FRC is also a place for families to have a quiet moment away from the bedside. Unique services and facilities include parent massage, vending area with free coffee and hot beverages, computer workstations for e-mail and Internet access, laundry, and parent sleeping rooms for intensive care parents. The FRC is open daily; please call for hours.