Teresa S. Hyun, MD, PhDDr. Hyun is a pathologist who works in hematopathology and bone marrow transplant pathology.
Patient Care Philosophy:My clinical work involves evaluation of hematolymphoid malignancies which may require treatment with bone marrow/stem cell transplantation and monitoring of post-transplant conditions such as graft-versus-host disease as part of the clinical team treating patients at SCCA.
Dr. Hyun's Resume
- Pathologist, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
- Acting Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Washington
- Assistant Member, Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Clinical ExpertiseAnatomic pathology residency, surgical pathology fellowship, hematopathology fellowship, clinical instructorship
Education And Training
- MD, PhD: University of Michigan
- Residency: University of California, San Francisco; Anatomic Pathology
- Fellowship: University of California, San Francisco; Hematopathology and Surgical Pathology
Dr. Hyun's Story
"I chose to work with cancer patients because it is a field of medicine where advances in biology are quickly applied to make an impact on patients’ lives," she says.
Dr. Hyun's research work involves understanding the features that affect prognosis and response to treatment in hematolymphoid malignancies such as multiple myeloma. "As part of the bone marrow transplant pathology group, I also hope to study transplant-related conditions such as graft-versus-host disease," she says.
In her lifetime, Dr. Hyun "hopes to see the diagnosis of cancer continue to develop until each case has a specific molecular signature which can then be used to tailor the optimal treatment for each disease," she says.
Outside of work, Dr. Hyun enjoys cooking, baking bread, and hiking.