Karen L. Syrjala, PhDDr. Syrjala is Director of Behavioral Sciences and co-director of the Survivorship Program. Her focus is on helping people recognize their strengths and take charge of their health during treatment and long-term survival.
Patient Care Philosophy:
My care is focused on helping people to recognize their strengths and take charge of their health during treatment and long-term survival. When useful, I offer specific skills to assist people in being as comfortable as possible both during and after treatment.
- Director, Biobehavioral Sciences; Co-Director, Survivorship Program; Member, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Clinical psychology; Cancer survivorship; Symptom management; Managing distress and worry; Non-drug methods to reduce symptoms and improve long-term outcomes; Imagery and hypnosis; All cancer diagnoses.
Education And Training
- BA: Wellesley College, BA
- MA: Boston University, 1980
- PhD: Boston University, 1983
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: University of Washington School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology & Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Pain, Behavioral Medicine, 1985
For more information about Dr. Karen L. Syrjala's clinical and research expertise, click here.
- Exercise & Thrive (2287)
- SMART (2428)
- Social-Media Program for Long-Term Cancer Survivors Post Transplant (2605)