David R. Byrd, MD
Dr. David Byrd grew up in Jacksonville, Florida. He loved anatomy as he grew up and knew early on in life that he wanted to work in the service of others. And while he did play high school basketball—he stands at nearly six-foot-seven—he knew his future wasn’t in sports.
Dr. Byrd attended Tulane University where he earned his Masters of Science degree as well as his medical degree. After a general surgery residency, he and his wife traveled to India and Pakistan where he did medical volunteer work for a year. He then returned to the United States where he completed fellowship training in surgical oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.
“When I came back to Seattle in 1992, there were only two surgical oncologists at University of Washington Medical Center,” Dr. Byrd says. “There are nine of us now.”
Dr. Byrd helped to build the program at UW Medical Center which has included growing the faculty and broadening the reach of the specialized surgical services they provide. “I’ve been around since before SCCA started,” Dr. Byrd says.
Father to two sons, Dr. Byrd says he considers himself a cancer doctor first and a surgeon second. “The rewards are tremendous, not just the treatment aspect,” he says. From his life as a doctor and from his patients, Dr. Byrd says he’s learned that it’s the quality of time we have here that counts.
David R. Byrd, MDDr. Byrd is a UW professor of surgery, the section chief of surgical oncology, and director of the Pancreatic Cancer Specialty Clinic. He was the first surgeon to bring the sentinel lymph node biopsy technique to the Northwest. He is an expert in many surgical procedures, including the Whipple procedure used in pancreas cancer treatment.
- Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Washington School of Medicine
- Director, Surgery, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
- Director, Pancreatic Cancer Specialty Clinic, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
Surgical oncology, melanoma, breast cancer, thyroid, endocrine surgery, gastrointestinal cancers, pancreatic cancer, sarcoma
Education And Training
- Tulane University
- Fellowship: University of Texas, Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 1989-1992
- Residency: University of Washington
- Dr. Byrd was recognized as a 2012 "Top Doctor" in Seattle Magazine's 2012 annual survey and in Seattle Met's 2012 annual survey.
- For more information about Dr. David R. Byrd's clinical and research expertise, click here.