Commission on Cancer
The Commission on Cancer (CoC) is a consortium of professional organizations dedicated to improving survival and quality of life for cancer patients through standard-setting, prevention, research, education and the monitoring of comprehensive quality care.
Established by the American College of Surgeons in 1922, the multidisciplinary CoC establishes standards to:
- Ensure quality multidisciplinary and comprehensive cancer care delivery in healthcare settings
- Conduct surveys in healthcare settings to assess compliance with those standards
- Collect standardized data from CoC-accreditated healthcare settings to measure cancer care quality
- Use data to monitor treatment patterns and outcomes and to enhance cancer control and clinical surveillance activities
- Develop effective educational interventions to improve cancer prevention, early detection, cancer care delivery and outcomes in healthcare settings