Bone Marrow Transplant
|Recruiting||Graft Versus Host Disease||Phase III||
This randomized phase III trial is studying low-dose prednisone or methylprednisolone to see how well they work compared with standard-dose prednisone or methylprednisolone in treating patients with newly diagnosed acute graft-versus-host disease (GVHD). Glucocorticoids, such as prednisone or methylprednisolone at a starting dose of 2 mg/kg/day are standard treatment for acute graft-versus-host disease caused by a donor stem cell transplant. It is not yet known whether low-dose glucocorticoids are more effective than standard-dose glucocorticoids in treating acute graft-versus-host-disease
- Patients with newly diagnosed acute GVHD (>= grade IIa) for whom, in the judgment of the attending physician, initial treatment with systemic glucocorticoids is indicated
- Patient or guardian able and willing to provide informed consent
- Hallmarks of chronic GVHD
- GVHD after donor lymphocyte infusion (DLI)
- Patient unwilling to remain in Seattle under the care of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC)/Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA) through day 42 after the start of treatment for GVHD
- Uncontrolled infection or other underlying comorbidity (i.e. severe psychiatric illness) that precludes the use of "standard-dose" prednisone
- Recent diagnosis of recurrent or progressive malignancy that precludes the use of "standard-dose" prednisone
- Any prior systemic therapy for acute GVHD (Patients may receive up to 2 doses of low-dose prednisone prior to randomization; low-dose prednisone is defined as 0.5 mg/kg/dose for patients who present with grade IIa GVHD and 1 mg/kg/dose for those who present with grade IIb-IV GVHD)
- Enrollment on Blood and Marrow Transplant Clinical Trials Network (BMT-CTN) trial 0802
See this trial at ClinicalTrials.gov
Access protocol and consent forms at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Talk to your health care providers first before making decisions about your health care.
- Whether you are eligible for a research study depends on many things. There are specific requirements to be in research studies. These requirements are different for each study.