Cancer Survivorship Trials
Exercise & Thrive (2287)
Survivorship Program Exercise and Thrive
This program is the result of a multi-year partnership between YMCA of the USA and the LIVESTRONG Foundation that was launched to respond to the growing body of evidence that physical activity can improve cancer survivors’ quality of life, lessen the impact of treatment side effects, and help in their recovery. The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Survivorship Program and YMCA have partnered to offer a 12-week strength and fitness program, called Exercise and Thrive for people who have completed active cancer treatment. These partnerships allow the YMCA to more effectively support cancer survivors throughout the country.
Participants will have classes at a participating YMCA twice a week for 12 weeks. Different types of classes will be offered throughout the program, including core and balance training, nutrition, cardio, yoga, and weight-bearing exercises. The research portion of this study includes testing of physiological and psychosocial factors before and after the program by means of self-report questionnaires and fitness tests. Researchers will also be looking at program retention rates and satisfaction with the program, as well as continued exercise behaviors post-program.
Exercise and Thrive classes are available at the YMCAs listed here.
Eligibility Criteria (must meet the following to participate in this study)
Cancer survivors who:
• Are over the age of 21 years
• Are at least 90 days out of cancer treatment, in remission with no evidence of active or progressive disease
• Agree to obtain medical clearance for participation
• Have no history of cancer arising from or spread to any bones
• Have a strong personal desire to improve their strength and fitness
• Will attend the full 12-week program
May 20, 2011
Disclaimer: We update this information regularly. However, what you read today may not be completely up to date.
- Talk to your health care providers first before making decisions about your health care.
- Whether you are eligible for a research study depends on many things. There are specific requirements to be in research studies. These requirements are different for each study.