This clinical trial studies fluorine F 18 fluorothymidine (FLT) positron emission tomography (PET) in measuring treatment response in patients with newly diagnosed estrogen receptor (ER)-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-negative stage I-III breast cancer. Comparing results of diagnostic procedures done before and during hormone therapy may help doctors predict a patient's response to treatment and help plan the best treatment.
- A new diagnosis of invasive breast cancer > 1.0 cm in size, ER+ clinical stage I-III
- Patient must have surgical resection followed by systemic adjuvant therapy with an aromatase inhibitor (AIs) as part of planned treatment; any approved AI at standard clinical dosing may be used; in pre-menopausal patients, ovarian suppression with a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist will be started prior to initiation of the AI on a separate clinical trial in parallel with the imaging study
- Have tissue block available from core biopsy for correlative biomarkers and genomic assay
Have menopausal status determined prior to study enrollment; for study purposes, postmenopausal is defined as
- A prior documented bilateral oophorectomy, or
- A history of at least 12 months without spontaneous menstrual bleeding, or
- Age 60 or older with a prior hysterectomy without oophorectomy, or
- Age less than 60 with a prior hysterectomy without oophorectomy (or in whom the status of the ovaries is unknown) with a documented follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) level demonstrating confirmatory elevation in the postmenopausal range for the lab
- Negative pregnancy test within 7 days of baseline positron emission tomography (PET) scan for pre-menopausal patients
- Tumor HER2/neu expression must be determined (as part of standard clinical care) prior to study enrollment; HER2 may be tested by any Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved HER2 testing method; if determination is intermediate by immunohistochemistry (IHC), fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) or another alternate HER2 test must be performed
- Be a candidate for [18F]FLT PET imaging
- Be informed of the investigational nature of this study and provide written informed consent in accordance with institutional and federal guidelines prior to study-specific screening procedures
- Be willing and able to comply with scheduled visits and other trial procedures
- Current use of aromatase inhibitor as prevention or treatment for breast cancer
- Life expectancy of less than two months
- HER2/neu positive by IHC and/or another FDA approved HER2 testing method
- Inability to tolerate scanning (e.g. - claustrophobia, severe pain)
- Weight exceeding capacity of imaging table
See this trial at ClinicalTrials.gov
Access protocol and consent forms at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Talk to your health care providers first before making decisions about your health care.
- Whether you are eligible for a research study depends on many things. There are specific requirements to be in research studies. These requirements are different for each study.