These steps will help you prepare for your first visit with us.
- Transfer your medical records, which may require a Release of Information form. Your patient care coordinator will contact your other health care providers to get your pertinent medical records, which may include pathology slides and results of imaging scans and tests.
- Check your insurance coverage or investigate other ways to pay for your care. You will be asked to sign a financial consent form at registration.
- Arrange to have someone accompany you, for support and to take notes to help you remember new information.
- Learn about treatment options for your disease.
- Know our guidelines to protect patients, such as alerting staff when you have cold symptoms. We also ask that you not smoke, wear fragrances, or bring fresh flowers, weapons, or illegal substances to any Seattle Cancer Care Alliance clinic.
- Complete a living will and power of attorney for health care, which let you state your wishes regarding your care and appoint someone to make decisions on your behalf if you become unable to. Bring copies if you want these placed in your medical record.
- Check the itinerary we send you, with the times and locations of your appointments, so you’ll know where to find your clinic.
- Plan for travel, including a ride from the airport.
- Reserve housing if you’ll need it.
- Get a visa if you need one.
If you need an interpreter for yourself or a family member, we will arrange it.
- Comfortable clothing and shoes. Wear them to your first visit.
- Financial information: Your insurance information, photo ID, referral from primary care provider if required by your insurance company, and money for parking. For information on insurance coverage and financial assistance, see Insurance and Billing.
- Medical information: List of your current medications (prescriptions, over-the-counter medicines, herbs, vitamins, and supplements) and any medical history form you’ve been asked to fill out.
- Questions for your doctor. Here’s a sample.
- A friend for support and a notebook and pen to take notes during your appointments.
A book, computer, music player, or handwork to pass the time between appointments. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the clinic.